Converse is a city in Bexar County, Texas, United States, 15 miles (24 km) northeast of downtown San Antonio. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 18,198. It is part of the San Antonio Metropolitan Statistical Area. Several large commercial areas are included in the annexation. The additional land would be taken in a series of phased expansions until 2033. Once completed, the area of Converse would triple in size. Municipal services would become available to an often neglected part of the county. The San Antonio City Council has unanimously approved the annexation; now the measure goes before the Converse City Council and the county commissioners. Converse is on Farm Road 1976 thirteen miles northeast of downtown San Antonio in northeastern Bexar County. It was named for the chief engineer of the Southern Pacific Railroad, a Major Converse, who in 1877 bought a tract of land including the townsite. A post office was established in 1878, and by 1885 a population of thirty was reported. In 1896 the town had a saloon, two cotton gins, and a grocery. In 1990 the community, originally settled by German farmers, reportedly had the oldest 4-H Club in Texas. A singing society, the Salatrillo Liederkranz, had been active for many years. The population in 1946 was 175; by 1965 the town had twenty-two businesses and 900 residents. Converse has become a suburb of San Antonio. In 1990 the community had a population of 8,887, and in 1991 it had seventy-three businesses. In 2000 the population had grown to 11,508 with 390 businesses.